A systematic review and meta-analysis of two novel techniques of nonthermal endovenous ablation of the great saphenous vein
Diagnosis and management of the venous malformations of Klippel-Trénaunay syndrome
Evaluation of thrombolysis using tissue plasminogen activator in lower extremity deep venous thrombosis with concomitant femoral-popliteal venous segment involvement
Deep Venous Thrombosis associated with caval extension of iliac stents
Thermoablation using the hedgehog technique for complex
recurrent venous reflux patterns
Cost Analysis & Implications of Routine Deep Venous Thrombosis Duplex Ultrasound Scanning after Endovenous Ablation
- Congenital absence of the inferior vena cava with iliofemoral acute DVT
- Value of delayed duplex ultrasound assessment after endothermal ablation of the great saphenous vein
Oct 14, 2016
- Arterialization and anomalous vein wall remodeling in varicose veins is associated with upregulated FoxC2-Dll4 pathway
Sept 1, 2016
- A novel method of edema fluid drainage in obstructive lymphedema of limbs by implantation of hydrophobic silicone tubes
Sept 1, 2016
- The Incidence & Outcome of DVT After Endovenous Laser Ablation
January 1, 2016
- The controversy of managing calf vein thrombosis
November 23, 2015
- Deep venous reconstructive surgery
Octobre 19, 2015
- VASCULAR AND ENDOVASCULAR TECHNIQUS
November 12, 2015
- Algorithm-based approach to management of venous leg ulceration"
September 27, 2015
- Dr Miguel Lo Vuolo launched his new book " Venous Ultrasound A comprehensive approach"
August 06, 2015"Read More"
- Thromboembolic Complications and Prophylaxis Patterns in Colorectal Surgery
June 16, 2015"Read More"
28 March 2015"Read More"
- Risk factors related to the failure of venous leg ulcers to heal with compression treatment
Dragan J. Milic, PhD, Sasa S. Zivic, MD, Dragan C. Bogdanovic, MD, Nevena D. Karanovic, PhD, and Zoran V. Golubovic, PhD, Nis, Republic of Serbia
25 Feb 2015"Read More"
- Nomenclature of the veins of the lower limb: Extensions, refinements, and clinical application
Alberto Caggiati, MD, PhD, John J. Bergan, MD, Peter Gloviczki, MD, Bo Eklof, MD, Claudio Allegra, MD, and Hugo Partsch, MD, An International Interdisciplinary Consensus Committee on Venous Anatomical Terminology, Rome, Italy; San Diego, Calif; Rochester, Minn; Lundi, Sweden; and Vienna, Austria
20 Jan 2015"Read More"
- Incidence of and risk factors for iliocaval venous obstruction in patients with active or healed venous leg ulcers
William Marston, MD, Daniel Fish, BS, Joshua Unger, MD, and Blair Keagy, MD, Chapel Hill, NC
29 Dec 2014"Read More"
- Prospective determination of candidates for thrombolysis in patients with acute proximal deep vein thrombosis
Seth J. Klein, MD, Antonios P. Gasparis, MD, Dimitrios Virvilis, MD, John A. Ferretti, MD, and Nicos Labropoulos, PhD, Stony Brook, NY
11 Dec 2014"Read More"
- Venous outflow obstruction: An underestimated contributor to chronic venous disease
Peter Negle´n, MD, PhD, Tara L. Thrasher, BS, and Seshadri Raju, MD, Jackson, Miss
20 Nov 2014"Read More"
- Common femoral endovenectomy with iliocaval endoluminal recanalization improves symptoms and quality of life in patients with postthrombotic iliofemoral obstruction
David Vogel, MD, Anthony J. Comerota, MD, Mustafa Al-Jabouri, MD, and Zakaria I. Assi, MD,
06 Nov 2014"Read More"
- Revision of the venous clinical severity score: Venous outcomes consensus statement: Special communication of the American Venous Forum Ad Hoc Outcomes Working Group
Michael A. Vasquez, MD, Eberhard Rabe, Prof, Dr, Robert B. McLafferty, MD, Cynthia K. Shortell, MD, William A. Marston, MD, David Gillespie, MD, Mark H. Meissner, MD, Robert B. Rutherford, MD
30 Sept 2014"Read More"
- Failure of microvenous valves in small superficial veins is a key to the skin changes of venous insufficiency
Jordan R. Vincent, Gregory Thomas Jones, PhD, Geraldine B. Hill, BSc (Hons), and Andre M. van Rij, MD, FRACS
16 Sept 2014"Read More"
- Diagnosis and treatment of venous lymphedema
Seshadri Raju, MD, James Brooke Furrh, IV, BS, and Peter Neglén, MD, PhD,
27 August 2014"Read More"
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency and Varicose Veins
Seshadri Raju, M.D., and Peter Neglén, M.D., Ph.D.
12 August 2014"Read More"
- Forkhead box C2 Promoter Variant c.-512C.T Is Associated with Increased Susceptibility to Chronic Venous Diseases
Sumi Surendran, Athira Girijamma, Radhakrishnan Nair, Kalpana S. Ramegowda, Divya H. Nair, Jissa V. Thulaseedharan, Ravikumar B. Lakkappa, Giridhar Kamalapurkar,Chandrasekharan C. Kartha
08 July 2014"Read More"
- Histopathological findings of the human great saphenous vein treated with endoluminal radio frequency ablation
Harinder Singh Bedi, Nalini Calton, Kanwardeep Singh Kwatra, Vivek Tewarson
02 June 2014"Read More"
- Efficacy of axillary-to-femoral vein bypass in relieving venous hypertension in dialysis patients with symptomatic central vein occlusion
Joshua C. Grimm, MD, Robert J. Beaulieu, MD, Ibrahim S. Sultan, MD, Mahmoud B. Malas, MD, and Thomas Reifsnyder, MD, Baltimore, Md
20 May 2014"Read More"
- Microfoam Sclerotherapy for Varicose Veins: a Retrospective Analysis of a Modified Technique
N. Radhakrishnan & R. Jayakrishnan & G. Deepu
02 April 2014"Read More"
- The dogma that leg compression needs to provide a pressure gradient is now challenged
Hugo Partsch, Vienna, Austria
11 feb 2014"Read More"
- A multicenter randomized controlled trial evaluating balneotherapy in patients with advanced chronic venous insufficiency
Patrick H. Carpentier, MD
24 Jan 2014"Read More"
- The relation between pelvic varicose veins and lower extremity venous insufficiency in women with chronic pain
By J. Leal Monedero, Madrid, Spain.
6 Dec 2013"Read More"
- A comparison of the outcomes of one-stage and two-stage brachiobasilic arteriovenous fistulas
Georgios Vrakas, MD
28 Nov 2013"Read More"
- Edoxaban versus warfarin for the Treatment of Symptomatic Venous Thromboembolism
The Hokusai-VTE Investigators
8 Oct 2013"Read More"
- Who Should Treat Vein Disease?
By Steve Elias, MD, FACS, FACPh, and Jose I. Almeida, MD, FACS, RPVI, RVT
18 Sep 2013"Read More"
- Conservative treatment does not cure lymphedema
Byung-Boong LEE, Washington DC, USA
30 July 2013"Read More"
- Anticoagulants and patients with a cancer: how treat them appropriately?
JMarc Cairols, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
06 July 2013"Read More"
- Management of endovenous heat-induced thrombus using a classification system and treatment algorithm following segmental thermal ablation of the small saphenous vein
Michael Harlander-Locke, BS, Juan Carlos Jimenez, MD, Peter F. Lawrence, MD, Brian G. Derubertis, MD, David A. Rigberg, MD, Hugh A. Gelabert, MD, and Steven M. Farley, MD, Los Angeles, Calif
18 May 2013"Read More"
- Best management options for chronic iliac vein stenosis and occlusion
Seshadri Raju, MD, FACS, Jackson, Miss
18 April 2013"Read More"
- Pathogenesis and etiology of recurrent varicose vein
Maresa Brake, MBBS, BSc, Chung S. Lim, MRCS, PhD, Amanda C. Shepherd, MRCS, MD,Joseph Shalhoub, MRCS, PhD, and Alun H. Davies, DM, FRCS,
11 March 2013"Read More"
- Choosing a contraceptive pill in women at high risk of venous thromboembolism
Review by Jacqueline CONARD, Paris, France
19 Feb 2013"Read More"
- Early thrombus removal strategies for acute deep venous thrombosis: Clinical Practice Guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery and the American Venous Forum
Meissner MH, Gloviczki P, Comerota AJ, Dalsing MC, Eklof BG, Gillespie DL, et al. J Vasc Surg. 2012;55:1449-1462.
11 Feb 2013"Read More"
- >SURGICAL ETHICS CHALLENGES
James W. Jones, MD, PhD, MHA, and Laurence B. McCullough, PhD, Houston, Tex
31 Jan 2013"Read More"
- Postoperative pain and early quality of life after radiofrequency ablation and mechanochemical endovenous ablation of incompetent great saphenous veins
Ramon R. J. P. van Eekeren, MD,a Doeke Boersma, MD,b Vincent Konijn, MD,a Jean Paul P. M. de Vries, MD, PhD,b and Michel M. J. P. Reijnen, MP, PhD,a
09 Jan 2013"Read More"
- The role of dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and management of patients with vascular malformations
Michael E. Lidsky, MD,a Charles E. Spritzer, MD,b and Cynthia K. Shortell, MD,a Durham, NC
24 Dec 2012"Read More"
- Neurological complications of sclerotherapy for varicose veins
Tharsi Sarvananthan, MBBS, Amanda Claire Shepherd, MBBS, Torsten Willenberg, MD, and Alun Huw Davies, DM, FRCS, London, United Kingdom
1 Dec 2012"Read More"
- Influence of high-heeled shoes on venous function in young women
Wagner Tedeschi Filho, MD, Nei R. A. Dezzotti, PhD, Edvaldo E. Joviliano, MD, PhD, Takachi Moriya, MD, PhD, and Carlos Eli Piccinato, MD, PhD, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
14 Nov 2012"Read More"
- Small skin incision and fistula elevation for hemodialysis using the femoral vein
Francisco Alcocer, MD, Saul Perez, MD, and Camilo Martinez, MD, San Luis Potosí, Mexico
30 Oct 2012"Read More"
- Direct thrombolytic therapy in portal and mesenteric vein thrombosis
Charlie Chen, MD, New Haven, Conn
18 Oct 2012"Read More"
- Superficial vein thrombosis: a consensus statement
E. KALODIKI, V. STVRTINOVA, C. ALLEGRA, G.M. ANDREOZZI, P-L ANTIGNANI, R. AVRAM, B. BRKLJACIC, F. CADARIOU, J. FAREED, L. GASPAR, G. GEROULAKOS, A. JAWIEN, M. KOZAK, C.R. LATTIMER, E. MINAR, H. PARTSCH, F. PASSARIELLO, M. PATEL, Z. PÉCSVÁRADY, P. POREDOS, K. ROZTOCIL, A. SCUDERI, M. SPAROVEC, M. SZOSTEK, M. SKORSKI
4 Sep 2012"Read More"
- The surgical anatomy of the small saphenous vein and adjacent nerves in relation to endovenous thermal ablation
Anton L. A. Kerver, MSc,a Arie C. van der Ham, MD,b Hilco P. Theeuwes, MD,a Paul H. C. Eilers, MD,c Alex R. Poublon, MSc,a Albertus J. H. Kerver, MD,d and Gert-Jan Kleinrensink, MD,a Rotterdam, The Netherlands
22 Aug 2012"Read More"
- Postthrombotic morbidity correlates with residual thrombus following catheter-directed thrombolysis for iliofemoral deep vein thrombosis
Anthony J. Comerota, MD,a Nina Grewal, MD,a Jorge Trabal Martinez, MD,a John Tahao Chen, PhD,b Robert DiSalle, MD,a Linda Andrews, RN,a Deb Sepanski, RT(R),a and Zakaria Assi, MD,a Toledo and Bowling Green, Ohio
22 June 2012"Read More"
- The impact of ablation of incompetent superficial and perforator veins on ulcer healing rates
Michael Harlander-Locke,a Peter F. Lawrence, MD,b Ali Alktaifi, MD,b Juan Carlos Jimenez, MD,b David Rigberg, MD,b and Brian DeRubertis, MD,b San Diego and Los Angeles, Calif
12 May 2012"Read More"
- The controversy of managing calf vein thrombosis
Elna M. Masuda, MD, Robert L. Kistner, MD, Chayanin Musikasinthorn, MD, Fernando Liquido, BS, Olga Geling, PhD, and Qimei He, PhD, Honolulu, Hawaii
09 april 2012"Read More"
- Thrombolysis for deep venous thrombosis
Anthony J. Comerota, MD, FACS, FACC, Toledo, Ohio; and Ann Arbor, Mich
13 March 2012"Read More"
- Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines
Gordon H. Guyatt , MD, FCCP ; Elie A. Akl , MD, PhD, MPH ; Mark Crowther , MD ; David D. Gutterman, MD, FCCP; Holger J. Schünemann, MD, PhD, FCCP;
10 Feb 2012"Read More"
- Postthrombotic syndrome and quality of life in patients with iliofemoral venous thrombosis treated with catheter-directed thrombolysis
Rikke Broholm, MD, PhD,a Henrik Sillesen, MD, DMSc,a Mogens Trab Damsgaard, MS,b Maja Jørgensen, MD,c Sven Just, MD,d Leif Panduro Jensen, MD,a and Niels Bækgaard, MD,a Copenhagen, Denmark
26 Dec 2011"Read More"
- Position of valves within the subclavian and axillary veins
Halil Celepci and Erich Brenner, MD, PhD, MME, Innsbruck, Austria
26 Dec 2011"Read More"
- The American Venous Forum and the lessons learned from the battle of Thermopolae
Peter J. Pappas, MD, Brooklyn, NY
28 Nov 2011"Read More"
- Long-term low-molecular-weight heparin and the post-thrombotic syndrome: a systematic review.
Hull RD, Liang J, Townshend G.
14 Oct 2011"Read More"
- Catheter-Based Therapies for DVT
BY MAHMOOD K. RAZAVI, MD
26 Sep 2011"Read More"
- Iliocaval Stenting for Advanced Chronic Venous Disease
BY JOSE I. ALMEIDA, MD, FACS, RPVI, RVT, AND CRISTAL BOATRIGHT, MMS, PA-C
9 Aug 2011"Read More"
- The changing face of care for venous disease
Peter Gloviczki, MD Joe M. and Ruth Roberts Professor of Surgery Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minn
12 July 2011"Read More"
- The care of patients with varicose veins and associated chronic venous diseases: Clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery and the American Venous Forum
Peter Gloviczki, MD,a Anthony J. Comerota, MD,b Michael C. Dalsing, MD,c Bo G. Eklof, MD,d David L. Gillespie, MD,e Monika L. Gloviczki, MD, PhD,f Joann M. Lohr, MD,g Robert B. McLafferty, MD,h Mark H. Meissner, MD,i M. Hassan Murad, MD, MPH,j Frank T. Padberg, MD,k Peter J. Pappas, MD,k Marc A. Passman, MD,l Joseph D. Raffetto, MD,m Michael A. Vasquez, MD, RVT,n and Thomas W. Wakefield, MD,o Rochester, Minn; Toledo, Ohio; Indianapolis, Ind; Helsingborg, Sweden; Rochester, NY;Cincinnati, Ohio; Springfield, Ill; Seattle, Wash; Newark, NJ; Birmingham, Ala; West Roxbury, Mass; North Tonawanda,NY; and Ann Arbor, Mich
11 July 2011"Read More"
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the treatments of varicose veins
M. Hassan Murad, MD, MPH, a,b,c Fernando Coto-Yglesias, MD, a,d Magaly Zumaeta-Garcia, MD, a Mohamed B. Elamin, MBBS, a Murali K. Duggirala, MD, a,c Patricia J. Erwin, MLS, a Victor M. Montori, MD, MSc, a,c,e and Peter Gloviczki, MD, f Rochester, Minn; and San José, Costa Rica
17 June 2011"Read More"
- SCAI: Stenting OK for Deep Vein Thrombosis
Published: May 07, 2011
Dori F. Zaleznik, MD; Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
Stenting is safe and more effective than balloon venoplasty alone for patients with deep vein thrombosis in the femoropopliteal vein, a randomized trial showed. Among patients who had residual stenosis after thrombolytic therapy, the rate of recurrent DVT at approximately three years of follow up was lower in the stenting group (4% versus 10%), according to Mohsen Sharifi, MD, of Arizona Cardiovascular Consultants in Mesa. In both groups, DVT was either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, and was easily managed with re-do percutaneous endovenous intervention, Sharifi reported here at the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions meeting.
Action Points —
Note that this study was published as an abstract and presented at a conference. These data and conclusions should be considered to be preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal. Explain that stenting appeared safe and more effective than balloon venoplasty for patients with >70% residual stenosis and following percutaneous endovenous intervention for deep venous thrombosis. Note that the mechanism of recurrent DVT in stented patients appeared because of thrombus extension and external compression rather than neointimal proliferation.
The study shows that stenting is a safe and effective option for patients who require additional treatment after undergoing thrombolytic therapy, he said. “Stenting is never a first option for the treatment of DVT,”. “The first option would be some form of mechanical or pharmacologic intervention, which we call in general percutaneous endovenous intervention. Once that has been accomplished, and if there is residual stenosis, then the practitioner should think about stenting, even if the lesion is below the inguinal ligament.” According to Sharifi, percutaneous endovenous intervention with stenting and other strategies has been shown to be an effective way to treat acute proximal DVT. The TORPEDO trial, which Sharifi presented last year at the Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics meeting, was the first randomized trial to show that percutaneous endovenous intervention reduced post-thrombotic syndrome and recurrent venous thromboembolism. But data had been lacking regarding the use of stents in the femoropopliteal veins, he said. “In general, the venous circulation has been a forgotten field for the interventional cardiologist,” Sharifi said. “With the results of the EVISTA trial, I think there would be a spark for more enthusiasm and work in the venous circulation, and I think that practitioners would take DVT more seriously, especially in the interventional cardiology field.” The EVISTA-DVT trial enrolled 141 patients with high-grade residual stenosis of more than 70% in the femoropopliteal vein after percutaneous endovenous intervention and thrombolytic therapy. The mean age of the participants was about 65 and 56% were men. The 71 patients in the stenting group received a total of 85 stents. The average length of follow up was 35 months. Patients underwent venous duplex scanning every six months or sooner if they became symptomatic and yearly x-rays. Those with suspected recurrent DVT underwent venography with intravascular ultrasound evaluation. All patients were on warfarin and daily aspirin for six months; 42 patients were also on clopidogrel (Plavix) for two-to-four weeks. The researchers advised all of the patients to wear 30-to-40 mm Hg compression stockings. During follow up, six patients in the stenting group and 15 in the control underwent invasive evaluation for DVT. Ultimately, 4% of the stenting group and 10% of the control group had recurrent DVT that was either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. Sharifi noted that the mechanism of stent thrombosis was different in these patients versus what would be seen with stents in the arterial circulation. Thrombosis was caused by thrombus extension from adjacent non-treated sites and external compression due to venosclerosis. There was no neointimal proliferation. All of the cases of stent thrombosis were manageable by re-do percutaneous endovenous intervention, Sharifi said, adding that stent thrombosis in these patients is “not a catastrophic event.” “The message is that after appropriate thrombolysis, if there is residual significant stenosis in the infra-inguinal segment, you should feel free to move ahead and take care of those significant lesions,” Sharifi concluded.
Sharifi reported that he had no conflicts of interest.