There are many methods that may be applied to treat varicose veins. The choice on which method to follow depends on how advanced the varicose veins are and also depend on the patient.
Diagnosis involves physical examination by the doctor which involves checking for swollen veins in the legs while the patient is standing. The doctor may also ask the patient if symptoms such as itching and pain in the legs are present. Non-invasive diagnosis methods usually done on a vascular surgeon lab include an ultrasound test using a transducer. These methods may also be necessary to check if the valves are functioning normally.
Treatment of varicose veins can be done on outpatient basis unless it is more-severe which requires admission. Below are some of the techniques that can be used to treat this condition.
- Self-care. This treatment method involves exercising, elevating the legs, losing weight, and avoiding long intervals of sitting or standing. This method may not permanently treat the condition but it will prevent it from progressing.
- Sclerotherapy. In this method, small and medium-sized varicose veins are injected with a solution that closes those veins. The procedure may be done severally but its effective if done in the right way.
- Laser ablation. This is a non-invasive technique which involves cauterization and sealing of varicose veins. Cauterization is done using a laser beam and the swollen veins gradually shrink and fade away.
- Ambulatory phlebotomy. This method is used to treat small varicose veins which cannot be treated by sclerotherapy. It involves removing these veins through a small incision. Local anesthetics are used to reduce the pain.
- MOCA. MechanicO Chemical Ablation (MOCA), or clarivein is a newly developed, non-thermal, non-tumescent technique for the treatment of gnarled and enlarged veins, commonly known as varicose veins. MOCA is one of the best choices for those patients who cannot tolerate needles well, and who do not have extremely large veins or numerous branching varicosities coming off from the treated vein.
- Glue Closure. The most innovative medical glue closure shuts down and seals the defective vein in varicose condition. On use of this glue, the vein hardens (sclerosis) and gradually it is absorbed by the body.
Those are some of the world’s best techniques of treating varicose veins. Would you like to find the best vascular veins center in India? Visit http://www.indianvascularsurgery.com to get access to the best vascular specialists and hospitals.
In short, several techniques can be used to treat varicose veins but the world’s best methods are self-care, sclerotherapy, laser ablation, ambulatory phlebotomy, MOCA and glue closure. Now you know.